Mon-Sat: 8.00-10.30,Sun: 8.00-4.00
Changing Status – Visa USA Expert
Home » Guide  »  Changing Status – Visa USA Expert
Changing Status – Visa USA Expert
Changing status from F-1 to another visa type is easy . If you are already in the U.S. on a temporary non-immigrant visa and are looking to change status

Changing Status - Visa USA Expert

Changing Status of your VisaChanging status of your visa is easy. If you are already in the U.S. on a temporary non-immigrant visa (student) and are looking to change status from your current status to an F-1 student visa status, you should first choose the college where you want to study and fill out their international student application form.Before changing status, the college must be approved by USCIS to issue F-1 Visas to foreign students. If you have any questions you should contact the admissions department of your new school.Once your international student application is accepted you can change status by obtaining form I-20 from the school’s DSO and will be added to the SEVIS database. To change status, you will then need to mail the following documents to USCIS:Form I-539 (application for change of status)Form I-20Copy of Form(s) Form I-94Copy of PassportCopy of Entry VisaProof of FundsSEVIS Fee ReceiptYou must then wait patiently for USCIS to respond to your request. It takes approximately two weeks to receive a confirmation letter with an application receipt number. You can check your application status by entering your receipt number in the USCIS Case Status Website. You may also receive a Request for Evidence or a Request for Information in case they need additional information from you. Consult your DSO and respond to the request as directed. The two usual grounds for denial of change of status are failure to file on time and insufficient funds. You will need to plan early and contact the school DSO well before your current visa’s expiration date to ensure a successful application process. GoUSA!– MikeAll information presented here is from my personal research and my attempts to save you time and money when pursuing your dream of coming to the USA to study. Do not take any of this information as LEGAL advice – I am not an attorney, nor do I play one on TV. This information is gathered from a variety of sources including many U.S. Government websites and I urge you to validate this information as much as possible, just as I do when posting on this blog.